What is VCU Pre-X?
VCU’s Pre-X program assists students in communicating their ideas in a format designed for pitching to investors, sponsors, and accelerator programs. The experience culminates in Demo Day which over the past three years has connected more than 140 students from across VCU to potential funders and employers. Students from the VCU Pre-X program have gone on to regional and national accelerator programs as well as to work for Fortune 500 companies.
The VCU Pre-X is free and all VCU students are eligible to apply.
How VCU Pre-X Works
- 2 week commitment: April 5 - April 18
- Apply by March 26th
- Build your venture portfolio: Executive Summary, Pitch Deck, and Video Pitch
- Connect with Mentor from the Richmond Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- Meet with Subject Matter Experts
- Network with peers
- Compete for seed funding at Demo Day
- Cash prizes
- Perfect presentation skills
- Refine program materials (pitch deck, executive summary, and pitch delivery)
- Earn digital badges through Credly’s Acclaim Platform
- Work on cross-disciplinary teams
- Receive valuable feedback to move their venture forward
- Learn about entrepreneurial ecosystem resources
- Work with mentors and experts from the Richmond Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- Prepare for Demo Day to compete for cash prizes and seed funding
VCU Demo Day
Every year the da Vinci Center hosts VCU Demo Day to highlight student ventures and award prize money. Last year VCU Pre-X and VCU Healthcare Innovation Sprint came together to compete for 2 top prizes of $5k and 2 People’s Choice Awards for $500. Eight teams from VCU Pre-X participated in a semester-long program to identify, support, and launch high growth and high potential startups and founders. And eight teams joined a 2-week Healthcare Innovation Sprint to explore solutions related to COVID-19 through health care and innovation.
Interested in mentoring?
The VCU Pre-X program and Demo Day would not be possible without the generous support of individuals and corporations. If you or your company is interested in sponsoring or mentoring this year, please fill out the short form at this link.